Sunday, January 18, 2009

Broccoli Salad

A friend of ours becomes my responsibilty to feed every time his wife goes out of town. His favorite night is Saturday night, as Saturday night is steak night at my house.

I keep the menu simple. Last night it was steaks on the grill, sauteed mushrooms and broccoli salad. It's always easy to throw an extra steak or 2 on the grill if we have unexpected guests.

My broccoli salad is a favorite. I just "do it" - never measuring or anything. So yesterday I made a conscious effort to measure so I could share. We will go through a step by step and I will include the full recipe at the end.



We'll need broccoli florets, an onion, dried unsweetened cranberries, mayonnaise, red wine vinegar, sugar substitute, salt and pepper.



So, let's get started with the dressing, right in the serving bowl to make it easy.



Whisk together 1 cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, 1/2 cup sugar substitute until combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.



I used a little bit over 1 pound of broccoli florets. Chop off the stems so you just have the tops and cut into bite size pieces. I guess we will say 1 pound, or about 5 cups (liquid measuring cups, not packed).



Roughly chop the onion. I always use vidalia because I like the taste.



I ended up with 1 cup chopped onion.



Add the broccoli and chopped onion to the prepared dressing in the bowl, then add cranberries. I used 1 cup dried cranberries.



Stir the dressing up from the bottom to evenly coat the broccoli, onions and cranberries.



Then cover and put in the refrigerator for at least an hour to chill before serving.

The guys thought it was perfect, but I thought it had bit too many cranberries.

So, here is my recipe - finally written down.

Broccoli Salad - Almost Level 1

1 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
1/2 cup sugar substitute
salt & pepper to taste
1 pound broccoli florets
1 medium onion - 1 cup chopped
1/2 to 1 cup dried unsweetened cranberries

Whisk together the mayonnaise, vinegar and sugar substitute. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Cut the broccoli florets into bite size pieces. Chop the onion. Add to the bowl and stir to coat.

Refrigerate at least an hour and serve.

**This is great as a take along on camping or fishing trips. I put the broccoli florets in a big zip loc bag, the chopped onions in another zip loc bag and the cranberries in another zip loc bag - this keeps them crisp and they retain their flavors. Prepare the dressing and put in a container with a lid. Put it all in the cooler, all prepped. That way all you have to do is combine everything in a big bowl or bag before you start making your meal at the campsite or on the boat. Put it back in the cooler to chill and it is all ready to serve and eat when you finish making the rest of the meal.

Enjoy!

Foxye
Jupiter Florida USA
Somersizing since 01/03