Thursday, October 4, 2007

Nanaimo Bars

I remember my friend's Mom making this when I was a kid and I LOVED them. I found her old recipe recently and it was so so not not not legal, low carb, or ANYTHING I can eat now....Sweetened coconut, graham cracker crust, custard powder in the filling and so much other bad stuff....So I worked on it and this is the final result. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

Nanaimo Bars (Level 2)

Crust:
1/2 cup melted butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup sugar substitute (I use Whey Low)
1 lightly beaten egg
1 1/2 cups almond macaroon cookie crumbs
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

Filling:
2 1/2 tablespoons melted butter
1/8 cup cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups confectioners sugar substitute (I use Whey Low brand)

Topping:
4 ounces sugar free semi sweet chocolate chopped
1 Tablespoon butter

Preheat oven to 350. Grease an 8x8 cake metal cake pan. Line the pan with parchment, leaving the paper hanging over the edges of the pan.

Whisk together the butter, cocoa powder, sugar substitute and eggs. Stir in the cookie crumbs, coconut and walnuts. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.

Bake for 10 minutes, then let cool in the pan on wire rack.

In a large bowl, mix together the butter, cream and vanilla. Beat in the sugar substitute until thickened and smooth.

Spread the filling mixture evenly over the cooled crust. Refrigerate for at least an hour until it is firm.

Melt the chocolate with the butter in a bowl in the microwave. Let cool and then spread evenly over the filling. Refrigerate until set, for at least another hour.

Using the parchment paper overhang like handles, lift out of the pan. Peel off the paper and then cut into bars.

Cover and store at room temperature for up to 2 days. These freeze well!

Enjoy!
_________________
Foxye